Who doesn’t love a quick grilled cheese sandwich? Channel your inner child and let’s update this classic with some avocado! Here are two simple grilled cheese, tomato, and avocado sandwich variations
The first version is a sandwich of sliced tomato, sliced avocado and swiss cheese. The second version is sliced tomato, sliced avocado, pimiento cheese and some baby spinach leaves.These would be wonderful on sourdough bread, but since I’m not much of a bread eater anymore, I used a simple gluten free sandwich bread which worked beautifully.
On the inside pieces of the bread, I spread on mayonnaise, then I built the sandwiches. On the first sandwich I added sliced tomato, sliced avocado and swiss cheese. On second sandwich I added sliced tomato, sliced avocado, pimiento cheese and some baby spinach leaves.
Make sure and use softened butter for the outside of the bread so that it spreads easily. You don’t want to tear the bread!
I always add a little pat of butter to my cast iron skillet, too. Grill the buttered side of the sandwich on a medium high heat. While that’s grilling, I carefully buttered the other side of the sandwich (the side that’s face up) while grilling. Have your spatula handy and get ready to flip the sandwiches when the first side is lightly browned.
When both sides are browned and cheese is melted, remove to a plate and let rest before you attempt to cut the sandwich.
Here’s the spinach and pimiento cheese version:
My favorite was the pimiento and spinach version!
What’s your favorite version of grilled cheese?
Grilled Cheese, Tomato, and Avocado Sandwich Variations
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- 1 ripe tomato, sliced
- 2 slices swiss cheese
- ¼ cup pimiento cheese
- ¼ cup baby spinach leaves
- 4 slices bread
- butter, softened
- This recipe will make 2 grilled cheese sandwiches.
- Peel, core and slice avocado; set aside.
- Slice tomato; set aside.
- Spread mayonnaise on one side of each slice of bread.
- Assemble first sandwich with sliced tomato, sliced avocado and swiss cheese.
- Assemble second sandwich with sliced tomato, sliced avocado, pimiento cheese and some baby spinach leaves.
- Spread softened butter on top side of each sandwich.
- Add a pat of butter to skillet and heat on medium.
- Once skillet is heated, place each sandwich, buttered side down, in skillet.
- Carefully butter the remaining side of each sandwich (the side that's face up) while grilling.
- Using a spatula, flip the sandwiches when the first side is lightly browned. Grill remaining side.
- When both sides are browned and cheese is melted, remove to a plate and let rest before you cut the sandwich.