If you’re looking for a crustless pie recipe, this spiced pear custard pie is it. It’s so simple that I made it twice in one week!
The second time, I got creative and kicked up the taste a notch or two by adding spice and sweetening it a little more. I adapted my recipe from Martha Stewart’s pear custard pie version found here. Here’s what I did the second time I made it:
I peeled and sliced four ripe organic anjou pears and soaked them in approximately 1/4 cup of rum for about 3 hours. I did this because the taste of the pears got lost the first time I made the pie. The rum is not overpowering, but adds a delicate flavor to the pears.
In a buttered cake pan, arrange the pear slices like so:
Drizzle about 1 Tablespoon of honey over the pears for a little extra sweetness.
Next, whip up the batter of eggs, flour, butter, sugar, vanilla extract, salt, ground cinnamon and ginger in a blender and carefully pour over the pears. I increased the sugar and added cinnamon and ginger, which elevated the flavor of the custard from the original recipe version. Note: I used Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free 1-to-1 baking flour, but regular all-purpose flour would be just fine.
Bake in a 350° oven for 40 minutes. Let cool for a few hours before slicing and serving. This helps the custard set. The pears may rise to the top of the pie a bit.
I dusted the top with a little confectioner’s sugar before serving.
This is a simple and elegant pie that’s amazingly easy to make.
- 4 Anjou, Comice, or Bartlett pears, peeled and sliced
- ¼ cup rum
- ¼ cup melted unsalted butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup all-purpose gluten-free flour (Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- Confectioners' sugar
- Peel and slice lengthwise 4 pears. Soak pears in ¼ cup rum for 2-3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees; butter a 9-inch cake pan or pie dish.
- Arrange pear slices in bottom of pan, slightly overlapping.
- Drizzle pears with honey.
- In a blender, process ¼ cup melted unsalted butter, ½ cup of granulated sugar , ⅓ cup gluten-free all-purpose flour, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, 3 large eggs, ¾ cup milk, ¼ teaspoon each of salt, ground cinnamon and ground ginger until smooth.
- Carefully pour batter over pears; bake until golden and firm to touch, approximately 40 minutes.
- Let cool for several hours before serving.
- Serve with a dusting of confectioners' sugar.