This Easy Homemade Apple Ginger Cider Recipe with no added sugar will fill your home with aromas of the season: apple, orange, ginger, cinnamon and cloves, while it simmers in your crock pot.
This easy and delicious homemade apple ginger holiday cider recipe takes only 5 minutes (or less!) to prep and can cook in 3-4 hours or 6-8 hours in your crock pot / slow cooker, depending on your heat preference of low or high. And best of all – there is no refined sugar added. Honestly, I believe you don’t need to add sugar because apples are naturally sweet and when added with the orange and cooked slowly, they release their own sugars which makes this cider deliciously sweet, as is.
When the cider has cooked, simply grab a clean large pot and strain it through a fine mesh strainer, like this one:
and serve it hot or pour it into a gallon jug or pretty pitcher and refrigerate it for up to a week.
If you like these recipes, consider joining the Zesty Recipes Facebook Group. We’d love to have you!
- 10 fresh organic apples, any variety
- 1 large organic orange
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 3-4 slices of fresh ginger
- ¼ tsp. of ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp. ground cloves
- 1 gallon of filtered water
- Wash the apples and orange really well and cut them into quarters. No need to remove the seeds and peels because this will all get strained out later. Add the fruit to the slow cooker along with the cinnamon sticks, ginger slices, ground nutmeg and cloves.
- Pour filtered water into the crock pot. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
- An hour before the cider is done cooking, use a potato masher to mash the fruit. Cook for another hour.
- Strain the cider through a fine-mesh strainer (or cheesecloth) into a clean pot. Serve hot or let it cool and refrigerate it for up to 1 week.
DON’T FORGET TO PIN AND SHARE!