Bacon Brussels Sprouts Au Gratin makes a perfect holiday side dish for Thanksgiving and Christmas. This zesty recipe combines Brussels sprouts with two cheeses, bacon, garlic, yummy cream and a topping of breadcrumbs, which can be gluten-free if you need it to be!
This post contains Amazon affiliate links.
For some reason, some people don’t care for Brussels Sprouts. I’m not one of them! I love them prepared just about any way. For years, my go to sprouts recipe was my Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic Vinegar and Parmesan Cheese, which is amazing, but I think this one may be my new favorite! I bet this recipe will make the haters change their minds about Brussels Sprouts! Test it out during the holidays and report back.
It’s really easy to put this together. Trim and boil the Brussels Sprouts, drain them, rough chop them and add them to a buttered baking dish, like this one:
Season them with salt, pepper and garlic powder; add cream, crumbled bacon, the two cheeses, and top it with breadcrumbs. Use gluten-free breadcrumbs if you need to – I did. I just added a few slices of gluten-free bread to my Vitamix, hit the button, and instant breadcrumbs!
Bake it, plate it, add remaining bacon crumbles for extra goodness and boom! Yumminess served!
If you like these recipes, consider joining the Zesty Recipes Facebook Group. We’d love to have you!
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces, plus more for the dish
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, outer leaves and stems removed
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup breadcrumbs (use gluten-free, if you need to)
- 6 slices bacon, fully cooked and crumbled
- ¼ tsp garlic powder (or more to taste)
- Himalayan Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400° F and butter a 2-quart baking dish.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the Brussels sprouts and cook until tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Drain the Brussels sprouts well and let cool for a few minutes before attempting to chop.
- Once cooled, coarsely chop the Brussels Sprouts.
- Add the Brussels Sprouts to the prepared baking dish and toss with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste. Sprinkle in ¾ of the bacon crumbs (reserving the rest for garnish) and spread mixture out evenly in dish.
- Pour thecream on top, then sprinkle in this order: cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs. Dot the with the butter pieces.
- Cover with foil and back for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake for approx. 10 more minutes or until top is golden brown.
- Add reserved crumbled bacon to top and serve.
DON’T FORGET TO PIN AND SAVE!