These Gluten-Free Apple Pie Shortbread Bars are a delicious combination of an apple pie and an apple crisp!
These apple pie shortbread bars and simple to make and are yummy with or without the gooey drizzle on the top.
Without the drizzle:
Here’s how it came together. I made the gluten-free shortbread and pressed it into the bottom of a parchment-lined 8 x 8 pan. While I baked the shortbread for 15 minutes, I assembled the apple filling in a large bowl and spiced up the apple slices with ground cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, brown sugar, and a little gluten-free flour.
I also had time to make the crumb topping mixture with melted butter, brown sugar and gluten-free flour.
Once the shortbread was finished baking, I topped it with half of the crumb mixture, added the sliced apple mixture, and then completed it with the remainder of the topping. I baked it for 45 minutes and then let it cool for a few hours before refrigerating it overnight.
The next day, after it was set, I lifted it out of the pan and cut it into bars. I made a quick drizzle with powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla and decorated the bars. This last step is totally optional, but I like a little gooey drizzle just to top it off.
Result? Seriously apple pie slash apple crisp heaven!
What would make this over-the-top? A scoop of vanilla ice cream on top! Sadly, I did not get that shot before the bars were consumed! But you can just pretend you see that scoop sitting on top…right? 😉
Try these Gluten-Free Apple Pie Shortbread Bars this fall (or anytime) and let me know how you like them!
- ½ cup unsalted organic butter, room temperature
- ¼ cup organic sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
- 1 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour
- Apple Filling
- 3 organic apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 2 Tablespoons organic brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ cup all purpose gluten-free flour
- ¾ cup organic brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup organic butter, melted or at room temperature to cut in
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 300° F.
- Line an 8 x 8 baking pan with parchment paper. Make sure and bring the parchment up the sides so it will be easy to lift out later when you’re ready to cut the bars.
- Shortbread Base
- Using a stand mixer, place butter in bowl and mix on high for at least 5 minutes . Butter should be more white than yellow at this point; that's how you'll know it's creamed.
- Add sugar, vanilla, and salt to the butter and combine.
- Once combined, add in the gluten-free flour and mix well.
- Press the mixture into the parchment lined pan and bake in the pre-heated oven for 15 minutes.
- Apple Filling
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, flour, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg. Make sure all the apples are well coated.
- Crumb Topping
- Mix the gluten-free flour and ¾ cup brown sugar. Cut in the butter with a fork until crumble-like consistency is achieved.
- Remove the crust from the oven and turn the heat up to 350° F.
- Sprinkle half of the crumb topping over the short bread and then layer the apples on top.
- Finally, sprinkle the remainder of the crumb topping on top and place in the oven to bake for 45 minutes. Because oven temperatures vary, you may need to bake yours a little longer. You want to make sure the apples are tender. Test with a fork.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool fully (at least a few hours) before covering and placing in the refrigerator overnight to set.
- Once it's set, remove from baking dish by lifting out the parchment paper and cutting into bars.
- Sift powdered sugar into bowl. Add milk and vanilla and whisk until smooth.
- Drizzle mixture over bars and let set before serving.